Monday, May 27, 2013

The Green Bike

How I acquired the green and its significance in my life is an interesting story.  When I moved to Boise in 2004 I desperately wanted a bicycle to ride on the Greenbelt and I wanted a one that fit my personality; feminine, practical, easygoing and a little retro.  I had visions of myself riding a retro bicycle with a straw basket in both the front and the back to carry groceries from the farmer's market, ride on the paved bicycle path and eventually pull a trailer carrying toddlers.

Instead I ended up with a bike that could be used for both mountain biking and street riding.  I rode it often and was content with my purchase, but it did not fit with my personality and I constantly longed for something else. This was a manifestation of the marriage I was in.  I constantly denied my true identity as a way to please someone else struggling with who I truly was and who I thought my partner wanted.

After my marriage ended I was free to find my true self.  I loved to pedal my bike up and down the Boise River so a few coworkers and I got together once a week for a leisurely ride.  One coworker asked to store her bicycle at my apartment.  Oh, how I secretly wished this bike was mine.  I stored it for three years before selling my bike and using the money to buy the green bike from her.  It is nothing fancy; cute comfortable and a little retro, like me.

 I still need to get a straw basked and a trailer for Luke.

No comments:

Post a Comment